Most of you know how much I love this great country we call home: AMERICA! It truly is the greatest nation on earth and what a blessing it is for all of us to be citizens and enjoy the many freedoms we do!
I recently read an article that stated some strange facts about America that many Americans do not know and I thought you would find it interesting as I did.
- It costs the U.S. Government 1.8 cents to mint a penny and 9.4 cents to mint a nickel.
- Apple has more cash than the U.S. Treasury. (Scary!)
- In 1950 (the year I was born), less than 5% of all babies in America were born to unmarried parents. Today that number is 40%!
- The poverty rate for households led by a married couple is 6.8%. For households that are led by a female single parent, the poverty rate is 37.1%
- Montana has three times as many cows as it does people.
- The United States has 845 motor vehicles for every 1000 people.
- 48% of Americans do not have any emergency supplies in their homes whatsoever. Even fewer have fire extinguishers.
- If you have no debt and have $10 in your wallet, you are wealthier than 25% of all Americans.
- By the time an American child reaches the age of 18 that child will have seen approximately 40,000 murders on television.
- One survey of 50+ year old men in the U.S. found that only 12% of them said that they were “very happy”. (If surveyed, I would have been one of them.)
I found some of these facts both interesting and disturbing. As a nation we continue to make great advances in many areas like technology, medicine, etc., but we have fallen short in other areas like poverty, socialization issues, etc.
As the greatest and most free nation on earth, we can and must do better and it all starts with us!